Saturday 6 December 2014

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories: Father Christmas (not Santa Claus)

I have been looking forward to today's ACCM post, because last year I found an absolutely wonderful picture (thanks, Facebook!), which to me sums up the way we should view Christmas:


It shows us the Baby in the manger being adored by Father Christmas, who is humbly kneeling.  This is how it should be.  Don't get me wrong; I have nothing against the trees and the decorations (in fact, I love them so much, I started in October!).  But what I love the most is the spirit of kindness and generosity - and why is it that this feeling often only seems to come into people's hearts 'but once a year'?  Father Christmas seems to embody the bringing of that feeling - but the source of it is the Saviour, Jesus Christ, and we have been entrusted with the moral agency to continue feeling (and acting) that way.


The Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories (ACCM) allows you to share your family’s holiday history twenty-four different ways during December! Learn more at http://adventcalendar.geneabloggers.com

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful picture. I agree with you and actually despise the sentence "Christmas is just for kids". They miss the point completely. It is about peace, goodwill, family and giving not getting. I love the film "Miracle on 34th Street". Edmund Gwynn plays Santa and he says "Christmas is not just a day, it is a state of mind". How true is that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Birgit

    Glad you like the picture; I love it, too. I wish I could credit the artist, but I have no idea who created it.

    Hope all is well with you and you are enjoying the warm feelings that Christmas always seems to generate!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive